FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 3, 2014
Tester calls hearing on government’s IT capabilities, workforce
Senator’s hearing will be Tuesday, June 10
(U.S. SENATE) – Senator Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee that oversees the efficiency of federal programs and the federal workforce, today announced he will hold a hearing examining the federal government’s information technology projects and the state of the federal IT workforce.
Tester’s hearing, which will be co-chaired by the panel’s Ranking Member, Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio), comes amid renewed attention on the government’s technological capabilities due to concerns about the efficiency with which departments like the VA and Defense Department are moving to electronic records.
Tester’s hearing will also examine how government agencies coordinate major IT initiatives, specific IT projects such as those used to secure the border and schedule medical appointments for veterans, and the capabilities and capacity of the government’s workforce.
Hearing details and the witness list are below:
WHAT: Hearing in the Subcommittee on the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce
WHEN: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.
WHERE: Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 342
TOPIC: “A More Efficient and Effective Government: Examining Federal IT Initiatives and the IT Workforce”
- Luke J. McCormack – Chief Information Officer, Department of Homeland Security
- Stephen W. Warren – Executive in Charge of Information and Technology, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Donna K. Seymour – Chief Information Officer, U.S. Office of Personnel Management
- David A. Powner – Director, Information Technology Management Issues, Government Accountability Office
- Christopher Miller – Program Executive Officer, Department of Defense Healthcare Management Systems
The hearing will be streamed live online HERE. For more information about the subcommittee’s work, click HERE.
Contact: Marnee Banks or Dan Malessa (Tester) – (202) 228-0371